Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

If I had a dollar, for every time someone called me white...

" Nobody should feel as if their identity is being erased just because they dress a little quirky. There have always been black people and other people of color who have dressed in awesomely strange and unique ways. White people don’t have a monopoly on anything and everything vaguely alternative and it was so alienating to grow up with the idea that the way I dressed or the things I was interested in made me something I wasn’t. Last time I checked, there was nothing white about wearing shirts of your favorite music act or liking combat boots or wanting green hair. " 

- Ashley Reese 


The best excerpt that stood out to me in an article I found. It relates entirely to my struggle growing up as a young black girl, (still am actually I'm only 21 in a month) who hit a point probably in highschool where I decided to do whatever the fuck I want. It took me a while to get comfortable with this though, I must admit. 

If you knew I had a tattoo that says: stay true, this is mainly why. Because I'd like to think that as long as I'm here on this polluted planet I'll forever continue to do things for myself and not to please others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment